25 November 2012

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

I have a confession.  There's something innate within in me that is like a switch automatically turned on the moment Christmas music is available.  I'm not talking about the stores that start playing it around Halloween. I'm talking post-Thanksgiving, when you realize in a panic you only have 30 something shopping days left, and you're scouring past emails for that 20% off something or other.  You need background music to get you through it.  Queue up the holiday classics! 

There's a local station here known for its 'light rock' that I refuse to listen to any other time of the year. However, the moment Thanksgiving passes, it's the only station I tune into from then until December 26th.  It's the one time of year I forgo my NPR morning and evening commute and revel in listening to the songs I've heard a zillion times, singing along at the top of my lungs (sorry, Garrett). Sure, I could do without Alabama's "Christmas in Dixie" or any Karen Carpenter song, but I listen anyway, hoping to hear the few songs that for me, truly mark the beginning of the season.

For nostalgic reasons, two holiday songs that get me in the spirit are Wham's "Last Christmas" and Band Aid's "Feed the World (Do they know it's Christmas)".  I hear "Last Christmas" and I think of my sister and I lip syncing to George Michael, using hairbrushes for mics and sashaying across the room, pretending to be cooler than we actually were.  We still go nuts every time we hear it, whether we are together or not.  And Band Aid...well, as a child of the 80s, that's all that needs to be said.

Two songs that always tug at the sentimental string are "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", but ONLY the Judy Garland version, and the Ray Conniff Singers medley of "Jolly Old St. Nicholas/Little Drummer Boy". *sniff*

But there's one song that truly sends my Christmas spirit soaring and it's the kind of song that no matter where I am or what I'm doing, I picture myself twirling round and round, arms flailing, feet skipping.  Don't laugh.  Ready?  Johnny Mathis' "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year".  Yep, I love me some Johnny Mathis. I can't explain it, I just do.  And so, on this first official holiday weekend, no one in my household is spared from listening for these iconic Christmas songs and it's made everything else we do so very festive.

Friday night began with the annual Brunswick tree lighting.  A little crying, a little hot chocolate, arrival of Santa by firetruck...all pretty normal.  Saturday, Garrett and I went to the FeZtival of Trees put on by the Kora Shriners of Lewiston.  We went for the first time last year, and while very crowded, it's lovely and fun, and Garrett had a blast.  

Upon walking in, Garrett immediately wrinkles his nose, tugs at my hand and questions, "Popcorn?!"  Yep.  Let's get some.  























Next, it's heading upstairs to where all the trees are.  Here's how it works.  Each tree is decorated by a company, business, or organization and hanging on the trees are gift cards galore, or items donated by the company to win or under the tree, are big ticket items like stuffed animals, sports stuff, ride-able toys, etc. In other words, it's a feast for the senses of both young and old.  If you want a shot at any of these items, you must buy raffle tickets and send the ticket spiraling down into a candycane holder along with your hopes that your ticket could possibly be the lucky one drawn.   We bought 20 tickets.  

























We really wanted this car. 






















And this elephant.
Santa is squishy.


Another pitstop for popcorn shoveling.


Ooh pretty!




















Look who someone spotted!

One of the many candycanes we dropped our tickets in.

























Next up for today was a trip to our favorite playground.  It was almost bitterly cold because of the wind, which would explain why we were the only ones there! However, that did not stop us from a little ball play.  Future basketball or soccer player in the making?
























Have I mentioned how much I love my winter coat?

Finally, a little playtime on the slides and then we called it a day.

The rest of the day was spent as any Sunday during the holiday season should be--napping (him, not me), making delectable pumpkin breads (me, not him), and dancing to the soundtrack of the season.  Let the festivities begin!




1 comment:

  1. Yep, my car radio has been set to the same station since Friday too!

    Another cool thing to check out is the light show at LL Bean. The giant tree's lights are set to music every hour starting at 5pm on the weekend. We did that last night along with a carriage ride, although that part is not G.'s cup of tea, obviously!

    ReplyDelete